Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society

 Whats New  |  Events Calendar  |  Contact Us!  |  Site Map  |  Home   
About Us | Board / Staff | Sketch | Calendar of Events | Privacy Statement | Public Policies | Membership | Location | Contact Us
KCHSoc Publications | Resource Publications | Recent Acquisitions | Probate Records | Genealogical Research | Program Volunteers
Museum Displays | Callaway Timeline | Window Display | Children's Area
Cemetery Preservation | Photo Archival | Digitization | Kingdom Notes | Court Records | Heritage Education | Tradition Preservation
History of Fulton | Legend of 'Kingdom' | Rangers Burial | History of Callaway | Schools | Churches | Articles | Callaway Features
Historic Cultural Resources | USGS-GNIS | Fulton Historic | Historic Schools | Historic Churches | Black Churches | Cemeteries | Alternate Cemeteries
Callaway County Library | State Archives | Callaway County Government | Fulton City Government | More Links

   Other Communities Page

Callaway County, Missouri


by Gene Hamilton

Bachelor is located approximately nine miles east of Auxvasse and approximately seven miles northwest of Wil1iamsburg. Shamrock is the metropolis to the east, located about five miles from Bachelor. The town of Bachelor was named after the creek of the same name, located near the town. From unsubstantiated folklore, the creek was named because two old single men (bachelors) moved to the area and established residence on the banks of the creek.

The original Bachelor post office was located about two and one half miles northwest of the townsite, and a second post office was at a house on the John WiJJ English farm, about one mile west. After the Bachelor store was built in 1886, the post office was moved there. Records of the Auxvasse Review reveal that a man named Calvert was the first postmaster and later a man named Barton served. John WiJJ English fol1owed Barton as postmaster, and after the post office was moved to the store location, Tyler Bernard, WiJJiam Bernard, Mrs. John Y. Burt, Mary Eliza Hamilton and Clifford Hamilton served, in that order. The post office was closed in 1959.

The original Bachelor store was built in 1886 by E. M. Dudley of Auxvasse. Tyler Bernard was the store manager. In 1888, Tyler Bernard and his father-in-law, G. T. Dudley, purchased the store from E. M. Dudley. Tyler Bernard died in 1925 after serving as store operator and postmaster for thity-nine years. William Bernard then became postmaster and operated the store. Mrs. John Y. Burt later took over the business and in 1934 sold the store to George and Mary Eliza Hamilton and their son, Clifford, and his wife Mary Faun. The Hamilton family operated the store until the mid-1960's. A new store was constructed in 1954 and the old building was razed. In the mid-60's the store was rented by the Hamiltons to Raymond and Nel1ie Sapp. After about two years of operation by the Sapps, the store closed and has not reopened.

Friendship Christian Church, located about two hundred feet east of the store, was built in 1884 and has been utilized over the years as a Christian and Community Church. Services are stiJJ conducted there.

Harmony Baptist Church is about one mile west of Bachelor. It was organized in 1881. Its building was badly damaged by a storm in 1942 but the congregation was reorganized and a new building built in 1950. That ch urch stiJJ has an active congregation. Like much of Callaway County, the Bachelor community was dotted with one-room schoolhouses, most of which closed in the 1950's. From Bachelor, Oak Grove District No. 21 was approximately one half mile west, Elm Spring was three miles east, Hickory Grove three miles north, and Scott School four miles south.

The school houses and post office are now gone, the store is vacant, and only the two churches remain of what was once Bachelor, Missouri.


by Dorothy Mottaz The village of Boydsville was possibly settled in the mid 1800n's. It is located in Round Prairie Township off of Route J about 10 miles southwest of Fulton and approximately 2 miles east of Cedar Creek, which is the division line between Boone and CaJJaway County. The assumption is that Boydsville got its name from Thomas Boyd of Pennsylvania, who settled in CaJJaway County, Missouri, in 1827, or one of his descendants. The village was never laid out or platted, according to William Boyd, Fulton abstractor.

Boydsvil1e grew as the years passed. In the early 1800's there was a post office, a general store, and a grist mil1. The post office and general store were located on the west side of the north-and-south road, which was later cal1ed the Paris Road. Growth came in the later 1800's and early 1900's. By 1910 there were ten houses, two general merchandise stores, one blacksmith shop, a post office and three mail routes through the vil1age. One route was from the Fulton Post Office and two mail routes were from Guthrie. The mail was taken from the train sorted for delivery. These were long routes; they were twenty-two miles, thirty miles, and twenty miles long, respectively. The reason for the three routes was that while the area had become more thickly populated, the roads were dirt and hard to travel. They had to be traveled by horseback or with a horse and cart. One long route, which came from Guthrie, traveled over Smith Creek and Cedar Creek into Boone County to deliver the mail . A post card cost one cent and a letter could be delivered with a two cent stamp.

The growth of the village and the distance from Fulton gave rise to the need for medical doctors, switchboard operators for the telephone communication system, a barber, and churches and schools.

The first Christian Church of Boydsville was blown away near or around 1912, and a new Christian Church was built off of Route J (as you are entering Boydsville) in the year of 1913 and was dedicated the following year. The date of the first grade school for white children and for black children is not known. Mrs. Lura Anthony Tackett was born in the year 1885 and attended the school for the white children, which was located one mile north of Boydsville. Mr. Tom Bedsworth was her first grade teacher. The school for black children was located one half mile south of Boydsville and one half mile back west. It sat across the road from the Carter and Annie Connelly farm. Black children were sent from the following areas to go to school: Millersburg, Carrington, and Guthrie, Missouri. It was 9 :00 or 10 :00 a. m. sometimes before these children arrived at school, and often it was dark when they reached home because of the distance they had to travel and the shorter days, in the winter.

The first doctor who is known to have practiced medicine in Boydsville was Dr. Henry Miller. He practiced out of his home which was the first house as you entered Boydsville. This was in the late 1800's.

Direct descendants of Dr. Henry Miller are: Raymond H. Miller, Oleta McDaniel, Ralph Howison, and Mildred Craighead.

During this period, Mrs. Coons operated a switchboard for the telephone company, according to Pauline Adamson Blacklock.

Mr. James Woolery and his wife Sadie had built the second store which was located on the east side of the Paris Road, which runs north and south through Boydsville. This first floor store contained general merchandise and the second floor was for lodges. This hall was for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Rebeccas, Modern Woodmen of America, and Royal Neighbors. Some gala parties were held there during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Later in the 1920's and 1930's dances were held in the Lodge Hall. It is assumed that this building was built in the late 1800's.

The stores of Boydsville grew with the new increase in numbers of local residents and their offspring in the outlying area. This growth gave rise to more trade; eggs, chicken, turkeys, and rabbits were exchanged for commodities in the general merchandise store. These stores kept everything from sugar, salt, coffee, and tea to horse collars, overshoes, boots, overalls, yard goods to some makeup and patent medicines. On some occasions they would sell men's and women's hats. Mailorder stores were used and merchandise was shipped by parcel post.

Much of the trade during the late 1800's and early 1900's was done by the railroad. The Chicago and Alton ran through Carrington, three miles east of Boydsville. Grain, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, sheep, hogs, cattle, and fruit were put on freight cars which served the area.

Mr. Cecil Howison built the third store around the turn of the century (I was unable to ascertain the exact date) . This building was used first as a store, later as a home, then in the early 1920's it became a general merchandise store owned by Thomas F. Tackett and operated by Will Coons.

The second store had been sold many times from that of James Woolery to that of Frank Douglas. Frank Douglas sold the store then to the Anthony Brothers, Frank and Fred. The Anthony Broth~rs sold the store to Lamar Bedsworth, who in turn sold it to Henry J. Wefenstette; Mr. J. Kelly Bruner then owned the building. In 1930 this building was razed and the lumber was used to build a new house for Mr. Bruner in New Bloomfield. The third store building, owned by Thomas F. Tackett, burned on March 14, 1932. This building had a room built on the north side which housed the barber shop. The blacksmith shop was located just south of the store. These buildings were burned at the same time the store burned and they were also owned by Thomas F. Tackett.

In or about 1916, Carter and Annie Connelly became the parents of one set of Siamese twins and another daughter. A miracle was performed as Dr. Suggett (who had followed Dr. Henry Miller and Dr. Pryor in practice at Boydsville) delivered the babies by caesarian section. Mrs. Nannie Adamson assisted in this surgery at the home. The Siamese twins were born dead, but the daughter triplet, Iva Connelly, is still living.

This mill was located about three and a half miles southwest of Boydsville. Not infrequently grain was milled for one half of the grain. It was built on Cedar Creek, and flour, meal, and other commodities could also be bought. This building was later bought by a family by the name of Claude Mountjoy. The mill was closed down and at a later date the building was razed by Fred Harris in and about 1930. The material was moved to about 3 miles west of Fulton on the Columbia and Fulton gravel road and a dance hall was built out of the material.

Some of the families who lived south, southwest and southeast of Boydsville who were in the shopping area and voting precints were: J. Kelly Bruner, Charles W. Howison, William Wefenstette, Clarence Wefenstette, Harry Trammell, Logan Trammell, John Uts, Luther Griffen, Hiram Holiday, Henry Holiday, Ridgeway Holliday, Claude Holt, Curtis Holt, A. Hardin Howison, Joe Sweeten, William Jones, Clell Cundiff, Bailey and Selma Scott, George Gaddy, Carter Connelly, Henry Shouse, Thomas Anthony, P. Floyd Tackett, Nannie B. Adamson, Mrs. Browning, Charlie and Becky Wright, Rhiney Wilson, Sallie Hinshaw, Wrennie Clatterbuck, Willard Glover, Hugh Hendrick, and Lawrence Hildebaugh. The residents who lived north, northeasterly and northwesterly were: W. G. Bedsworth, Alex Howison, John Darby, Charles Baker, Billy Harris, John Wilkerson, the Otis Vaughns, Claude Mountjoy, Elmer Forsee, Millard Forsee, H. J. Wefenstette, Frank McCarty, W. J. Wilcox, Jim Sweeney, Egbert Humphrey, Henry Hale, McNear, and Lewis Anthony. The people who had lived in Boydsville after 1844 up until 1983 are as follows: Sadie Woolery, Jim Woolery, Cleveland Freeman, Henry Foutz, M. F. Morris, Lamar Bedsworth, Harry Lynn, Frank Douglas, Dr. R. G. Hall, Dr. Pryor, Dr. Suggett, Dr. Henry Miller, Robert G. Anthony, Harold Ewing, Mrs. Adamson, Mrs. Long and children, Will Coons, H. J. Reynolds, Charles Baker, and Cecil Howison.

Much of the area had been settled in the early 1800's. The land had been farmed heavily and only fertilized with natural manure and waste from crops. The land became less productive, but was still good for grazing. The area felt the Depression very heavily in 1929.

The roads were still dirt and got very muddy during winter and spring. The roads were graveled in the late 30's, but electricity did not reach the area until 1940 and after 1945 because materials were not available for 'power until after World War II. Many farms were foreclosed on during the 1930's, and by the late 1940's the U.S. Government had bought practically all farms south, southwesterly, and northwesterly of Boydsville.


Madison Wright

As is the case in many of the small communities in Call-away County, the heart of the Calwood community has always been centered around its general stores. The present store is operated by Terry and Dudley Wright and is both a general store and a feed store. Its previous owners were also the Wright Brothers, Madison and Earnest (Ted) Wright, who operated the store from 1946 until 1974. Earlier owners were John Zumwalt, J. M. Wright, Lawrence English and V. B. Simcoe. The present owners are the third generation of Wrights to operate the store.

Other businesses which have served the Calwood citizenry have been J. T. Ellsworth and Sons (Clyde and Cleo), who operated a garage, filling station and lunch counter. They also had a small trucking business.. General stores have also been operated by Mr. Dort, E. M. Shelton, Ellsworth Draper, W. M. Breckenridge and Mr. Foster, who also had a lunch counter and gas pumps in the early 1920's. In the early part of the century blacksmith shops were operated first by Mr. Knox and later by Carson Potts. When automobiles came into common usage, garages were operated by Mr. Snotgrass and Clarence East. During the first third of this century Calwood had a postoffice housed in Mr. Breckenridge's store. Some of the farmers in the area during the first quarter of this century were William "Billy" Nobles, Charley Nobles, W. C. Sims, E. C. Sims, Singleton Shaon, V. B. Simcoe, Wheeler Zumwalt, W. W. Overfelt, Robert Andris, Robie Houchins, Betty Galwith, Claude McVeigh, Willie Harris, W. C. Fisher, Jake Dudley, Jim Dudley, Ernest Spradlin, John Grey, Willie Smith, Everett Austin, Bernard Harrison, Edgar Craighead, Lee Harris and O. A. Maddox.

At the present time the surrounding area is farmed by Leland Austin, Ray Glasford, Noble Craighead, Junior MCGowan, Jerry Austin, Roscoe Helms, Lamar Craighead, Clayton Craighead, Hubert Books, Jim Boillot, Robert Lee Harris, Jr., and Bob Maddox. Until 1958 Calwood also had its own elementary school. At that time Calwood became a part of the reorganized school district for the north part of the county. Area elementary students now attend the Hatton McCredie Elementary School.


by Myrtle Niedergerke

Carrington City, laid out by William Carrington on June 5, 1872, was for many years a thriving village and community with a raiload, several grocery and dry goods stores, a blacksmith shop, a drug store, a millinery store, a barber shop, a telephone service, a church, and a school. Early grocery merchants, such as William Bowen, J. T. Woods and M. E. Gilbert developed prosperous businesses there but later retired to their farms. In 1891, Thomas W. Kemp of Pitcher, near Hams Prairie, purchased the grocery store there and moved his family to Carrington. He further developed his business by sending his two sons, Joe and Omer, in their huckster wagons into the community as far west as Cedar Creek, buying dairy and poultry products. After many years, about 1910, he sold his business to O. Duley Scott and his daughter Mrs. Lula Nevins, who was also the postmistress at the store. Roy Anthony and Omer Kemp were also partners in the store for a few years.

For many years, the Carrington Baptist church and the Carrington Store were focal points in the community. On Saturday nights neighbors came to the store to trade and remained to visit. Children had fun playing in the large warehouse, a part of the store. Improved roads and transportation caused a decline in business. Later owners of the store were Fred Anthony, Melvin Trammell, Herman Bohning, and the Brattons. In October, 1968, the store burned and was not rebuilt.

The Callaway Coal Company was the main industry in Round Prairie Township moving the coal over the Chicago and Alton Railroad. It provided work for many people. Mr. Norris was the general manager of the company, S. Frank Smith, the engineer, and Earl Sampson, the shovel operator.The mine later became a non-profit industry and was closed in the 1920's. As a result, the population and family incomes diminished, causing many families to leave the community. Now, part of the coal pits with its water and evergreen trees are used for recreational purposes.

Carrington has always been an agricultural community and was well known during World War I and in the 1920's for its livestock production of horses and mules, cattle, and some sheep. It was not unusual for a farmer to send three or more carloads of cattle to market by rail. Stock pens built north of the railroad almost always contained livestock ready to be marketed. Best known of the livestock farmers at that time were O. Duley Scott, O. M. Wilkerson, J. Scott McGhee, and Elgin Forsee. Other well known livestock and grain farmers then were Carl Divers and sons Percy and Ray, Carson Humphreys, Cecil Howison, Joe Griffin, A. D. Brooks, John McCarty, Luther Herring, Hugh Morris, and Vernon Forsee. The depression years caused losses and many changes in farming. Now, farming is mostly grain farming with much of the land under government management or in pastures with grazing livestock. Some present day Carrington farmers are Ralph Howison, John Wallace, E.G. Patrick, Morris Conner, Bill Conner, David Callahan, John Guerrant and Ollie and Roy Shaon.

In the early 1900's a telephone exchange system was built with Mrs. Moses Ashworth serving as telephone operator. After her death, the exchange was run for many years by Mrs. Will Sampson and later by Mrs. Orchard until it was modernized and became a part of the Fulton system.

The tornado of May 8, 1927, caused the destruction of most of Carrington, very little of which was rebuilt. The church and store were completely demolished. The El-burn Thomas and Will Herring farm homes and buildings were destroyed. All homes in the area suffered some damage. The Carrington Baptist Church was rebuilt, one half of the store was rebuilt, some homes were repaired while others were torn down not to be rebuilt. In 1932, the Chicago and Alton Railroad ceased to function, the rails were taken up, and the stock pens were torn down. The shut-down of the railroad made a great impact on the community.

The depression years, the tornado of 1927, and the loss of the railroad caused many changes in the community. Where once there was prosperity and profitable businesses in the village with its croquet courts, tennis courts and ice cream festivals, there is now a large expanse of green grass, a few homes, and a church. Carrington presently has a population of approximately thirty people. However, it is encouraging to see new farm homes being built with electricity, water and good roads. The village and community are beginning to prosper again.<>

It is interesting to note that there is a continuous line of descent in the village from the earliest founder, William Carrington, to the present, as Roy Lynn Carrington, affectionately called the "Mayor of Carrington", lives on his ancestral homeplace.


by Mrs. Bruce Edwards

The village of Concord was first settled around 1818, the first resident being a Mr. Watson. It was laid off as a village by John Henderson on May 18, 1837. The plots were 60 by 100 feet.

Before the building of the Chicago and Alton Railroad it was an important trading point. The Concord Church was organized June 25, 1833. It was the third Presbyterian church in Callaway County, Old Auxvasse and White Cloud being first and second. The church has services on the second and fourth Sundays of the month at the present time. Dr. William

Young, Chaplain at Westminster College, is the present minister.

The list of businesses and the owners when Concord was at its peak were: S. C. Harrison, carpenter; Henderson and McPheeters, grist mill and saw mill; G. M. Hull, carpenter and undertaker; A. D. Moore, harness maker; T. J. Pledge, Justice of the Peace; Pledge and Moore, blacksmiths; J. B. Plunkett, general store and Postmaster; S. R. Satterfield, constable; and Reverend W. W. Trimble, minister. Other businesses there at the time were: two other general stores, coffin factory, drug store, the Concord Chronicle, Mason Lodge, and at least fifteen homes. (None of the above mentioned are now there except the church.)

The school was one room and taught all eight grades. It was consolidated with Walnut Grove and Flynt in 1953. The building was sold, added on to, and is now a dwelling. Some of the last teachers at Concord were: Mary Alice Satterfield, Edith (Satterfield) Stephens, and Ber-niece Cathcart.

At the beginning of the Civil War Dr. W. W. Robertson opened and conducted a seminary for boys and girls at Concord. It ran for several years and was then moved to Fulton as

Synodical College.

A Civil War battle was fought where the Concord Cemetery now stands. All that remains in the village are the church and ten homes. The author is indebted to Mrs. Edith Stephens who was reared in Concord, for much of this material.


by Alleyne Cave and Margaret Jones

Dixie was started in 1897. It consisted of the store building and the home of Mr. Walter Sappington, owner of the store. The merchandise had been in a store at Caldwell, Missouri, about three and a half miles to the northwest. There was also a pottery at Caldwell. In the spring of 1902, Mr. Walter Sappington sold the store and his residence to John C. Cave and Shannon Cave. In 1904, Mr. Sappington bought the store and residence from the Caves and continued to run it until 1910 when it was sold to Mr. John Woody and son Marvin. They ran it until about 1923 or 1924. Quincy Schreen was the next owner and he sold to his brother Fred. After a few years it was sold to Quincy Schreen and his uncle, Clinton Sparks, in 1927.

The truck business was founded by Sparks and a nephew, Quincy Schreen, in 1927 when the interest in the store was obtained. The truck line, used principally to transport livestock to St. Louis, was started with one vehicle, a Model-T Ford truck. The first run in 1927 began at 6 p.m. one day and ended late the next morning in St. Louis, with nine sows shipped on that first trip. As was the case with most Model-T owners, Sparks once suffered a broken arm while trying to crack the vehicle. The truck line in later years consisted of a pickup truck and two straight trucks, used for hauling livestock to St. Louis and to deliver feed and farm supplies to area farmers.

The interest of Quincy Schreen was purchased by Sparks in 1932, and S.C. Sparks and his wife Rosie operated both businesses alone until their retirement in 1957. S.C. recalled that one of the biggest changes that had taken place in the country store operation was the addition of bottled milk to the stock. "People would have thought we were crazy to have handled bottled milk thirty years ago." Everyone had a cow in those days. The store at one time also handled a large volume of dry goods business, but that went out as the innovations came in. The store has never handled fresh meat, but has carried a stock of canned goods and staples. Its main business was selling livestock feed and supplying gasoline to area residents.

At this time S. C. was well-known throughout the county as a soil conservation advocate. He was the first man in the Dixie Community to build terraces on his farm; he built 12 miles of terraces with a tractor and an old motor grader. The farm was chiefly in pasture-with cattle and sheep the main projects. He worked closely with the U.S. Soil Conservation Service and served many years on the township ASC committee. He also had served about 26 years on the Victor School board and was president of the board for more than 18 years. Before his death on January 14, 1977, he was very active as a church worker and had been on the board of the Dixie Christian Church for about 35 years and had been an elder for the last 15 years of his life.

After S. C.'s retirement in 1957, his son-in-law Dorris Jones took over the store and trucking business. The store remained open until 1962 at which time it was closed. The trucking business was not sold until September 1967.


by Blanche Wilkinson Dudley

The state of Missouri decided to build a direct concrete highway between St. Louis and Kansas City in the early 1920's, so they asked the property owners to donate 60 feet of land for the highway. Most of them were willing to do so to have good roads. Some of the property owners near Eastville who donated land were: Robert and Lila Crowson, James H. and Ula Harris, William B. and Jailey Y. Harris, John E. and Mary Wilkinson, J. L. and Kate C. Wise, and J. T. and Bessie Wise. These deeds were executed in late July and August and recorded March 1, 1926.

William J. East decided to buy land here and build a restaurant, garage and about twelve cabins for tourists. On January 22, 1926, he bought four acres of land (in township 48, range 10, section 10) from James H. and Ula Harris and William B. and Jailey Y. Harris.

W. J. East started building the restaurant, garage and cabins. Mr. East and his wife; Irene Dimitri, his daughter; her husband Alexander Dimitri; and Margaret and Frances East, daughters of Clarence East by his first wife, moved into the living quarters above the restaurant and operated it. Clarence and Ethel East and their son, James, moved into the living quarters above the garage and ran the garage. Charles East was born there. It is easy to see why the area came to be called Eastville.

Johnnie Velte, a neighbor, helped to build the restaurant, garage, and cabins. He later married Frances East and they lived on a farm north of Eastville. Water was furnished to Eastville from John Wilkinson's deep well, and Clarence East looked after the well. A few years later, Mr. East had men from Columbia dig a deep well which supplied Eastville with water.

In 1928 the Missouri Power and Light Company from Mexico, Missouri, began extending an electric line to Lindbergh for Jake Reed's coal mines. Mr. East asked Robert Crowson, James H. Harris, John Wilkinson, and the Wise brothers to join him in applying for service. Eastville had electricity by the last of 1928.

W. J. East sold his property to D. C. and Bessie F. Lightner, August 24, 1938. Mr. and Mrs. Lightner and their daughter, Mrs. Stone, moved there and ran Eastville. Mr. and Mrs. Lightner did carpentry work, too. The Lightners sold their land to Cecil and Martha Trimble, April 28, 1950. Mr. and Mrs. Trimble and their daughter Carol Jean moved to Eastville. Norman and Susan Trimble were born there.

Cecil and Martha Trimble sold Eastville to Linus R. and Dorothy M. Kroll, on August 5, 1971. They and their small children moved here, and another child was born while they were at Eastville. While there they tore down the old restaurant and built a new house. Mr. Kroll worked as a computer operator in Columbia. Linus and Dorothy sold the property to Howard Gravatt, Incorporated in 1975. Howard Gravatt and his wife are living there now, and he is running an equipment shop, selling tires etc.

Mrs. Trimble passed away in November, 1928, and Mr. Trimble is living in Kingdom City.


by Kathryn Holt

Samuel T. Guthrie was born in Madison County, Kentucky, in 1793. His wife, Sally Phillips, was born in Casey County, Kentucky, in 1804. Samuel T. Guthrie came to Callaway County in 1819, and he was married to Sally Phillips on December 27, 1821. They settled on the present site of the town of Guthrie. Samuel T. was the first coroner of Callaway county, in the year 1821. He died April 24, 1872, at the age of 79, less than two months before the town was founded.

John Guthrie and Samuel N. Guthrie, sons of Samuel T. Guthrie, laid out the town of Guthrie, on June 10, 1872.

The first census shows Guthrie with a population of one hundred. The population has fluctuated very little until this present time. J. W. Bruton was the first postmaster, express agent, notary public and lumber -dealer. The railroad was built in 1872 at a cost of $640,000, running from Mexico, Missouri, to Cedar City, Missouri.

Ben Bigbee, a wealthy man who furnished the money to build the railroad and went broke due to this venture, no doubt was unable to underwrite the huge cost of building the railroad. The town was originally named Bigbee for this man. He was an aristrocrat, influential, and no doubt, wealthy. This may have been reason for the town being named for him. The old survey maps still show the east part of Guthrie as Bigbee. The old house on the John Reynold's farm, one mile south of Guthrie, had the air of a southern mansion, and may have been built by Ben Bigbee since at this time he lived in the area.

Martin Butler at one time owned all the land south and west of Guthrie. It was known as the Guthrie land and was approximately 640 acres. Matt Guthrie married a Butler and became heir to this land. The grave stones in Dry Fork Cemetery for the Butlers and Guthries came from the old cemtery. They are the most outstanding stones in the cemetery. Emerine Butler left an endowment fund for upkeep of the cemetery.

The Matt Guthrie home on the south central part of the farm was, and is to me still, my idea of heaven with a fireplace and little upper windows on each side with deep window casings, a winding corner stair case, a puncheon door with a latch string, a south window with a couch beneath, a shed kitchen with a door to the east, grapevines on a trellis over the well, a garden gate where holly hocks grew, a four-rail fence on either side of the walk, a fire bush and hugh oak trees on the lawn.

Mr. and Mrs. Guthrie were highly respected neighbors and were the parents of Logan, Campbell, Cordie, Sally and Pattie Guthrie.

Ewing Guthrie was the father of George and Jim Guthrie. Jim Guthrie was the father of Leslie and Orlean Guthrie Craighead. Frank Guthrie was the father of Baxter, Lou Gray, and Sallie Houston. They lived at the old Guthrie home, where Tonanzio's now stands. I remember, probably seventy years ago, the morning the old house burned; we stopped by on the way to school. Nellie, a girl who lived with Sallie, Lou and Bax, was sitting on a big rock crying. I presume this was the original house.

My father, "Bill Jack" Wilkerson, farmed the Guthrie land, approximately 640 acres. This was the Matt Guthrie farm located south and west of Guthrie. He raised wheat mostly on this land. There was not a single gully then. I was a very young child at that time. My husband J. C. (Tots) Holt told me Dad shipped as much as two car loads of wheat a year from Guthrie that he raised on this farm. It was very good land, and Dad, who was a good wheat farmer, took care of the land. It was quite a feat to sow and harvest three to four hundred acres of wheat with a horse drawn grain drill and grain binder and then to thresh with steam engine threshing machine and horse drawn bundle wagons and grain wagons. It took twelve to fourteen bundle wagons, six to eight men pitching bundles onto the wagons, three to four grain wagons, three machine men and several boys. The threshers spent several days, and the women spent many hours preparing and cooking the meals for possibly thirty men with farm hand appetites.

History records a beginning for this area at the time Samuel T. Guthrie and many other settlers came in 1817-1819. The first church in Guthrie was founded on October 4, 1823; it was the Cumberland Presbyterian. It was the third church organized in the county. It was a small log cabin daubed with clay, known as Log Providence. The church was built on what was known as Picayune Prairie. The location is south of what we called Graveyard Hill.

The pastor and members are listed in a former Callaway history book. Later, Brother Buchanan and Brother Russell served as pastors, and a frame building was built in Guthrie which stands today, but it is no longer a church building. What a shame that we lost such a great heritage! My mother and father, Eva and William H. Wilkerson, took their family to services there as well as to Dry Fork, where they were members as we were growing up. I have pleasant memories of this old church and its members.

Grandpa and Grandma, Robert and Nancy Criswell, lived in a house across the present road from the cemetery. A legend of their home told me by "Tots" was that a little colored girl was drawing water from the well with a bucket, and it was storming, lightning, and thundering. Either she was struck by lightning or was frightened and fell into the well and drowned. A depression in the ground and the rocks to the well are still visible.

Guthrie residents in 1974-75 were researching the beginning of the Guthrie School. My sister-in-law, Maude Holt Bedsworth, who reached 90 in 1979, and I thought that possibly the first school was held in the church building. Mr. Peru and Lark Fleshman were the first two teachers in the township.

Trains played a big role in Guthrie life and welfare. The north and south bound trains met in Guthrie at 10:00 o'clock in the morning. The south bound train was on the siding which ran from the east-west road to the school house. The north bound passenger train returned at 2:00 p.m., and the south bound train at 5:30 p.m. One could go to Fulton for a quick shopping trip on the afternoon trains. Everyone except the store keepers met the morning trains to see who was going north or south and who got what from the freight train. Horses, mules, cattle, sheep, hogs and grain were shipped to St. Louis and Chicago. The branch line was the Chicago and Alton line. My dad sold John Deere machinery and also Minneapo-lis-Moline. The machinery came unassembled and Dad had to set it up and get it into operation.

The first rural telephone in the county and possibly the state was from Guthrie to Ashland. Charles Birkhead was in charge of building the line and installing the phones. The phone in each home had a call of long or short rings or a combination of both. There was no privacy on these lines and this was not at all appreciated by the patrons. Mr. Birkhead told the women how to use the phones, not to be too close to the transmitter etc. Odga, Church, and Herbert Clatterbuck raised hound dogs and as typical boys, they got the old dogs to howl so the women could not hear each other. Much complaint got poor results. Boys will be boys! My father and mother were on this first rural line and I remember a call from Texas telling my father of the death of his mother. This impressed me since Mother and Dad were crying. At the time of this message we lived at the house of my birth, and by checking ages, I think the line was built in 1911-1912.

My husband "Tots" told me of a Mr. Jamison who kept stallions and jacks for breeding purposes. When he made a phone call, he announced "If any women are on the line, they had best hang up because of what I might say to my client." Naturally all the women listened in.

Memories of 78 years ago

by Flossie Hudson as told to Sonya Wilson

"I hold many fond memories of the now near ghost town of Guthrie, Missouri. It was a booming little country village with a drug store, post office, harness and saddle store, mill and blacksmith shop, a Presbyterian church, a Baptist church a little ways down the road, C & A branch train depot, a barbershop, and three stores containing groceries, dry goods, novelties, and most anything a well-to-do-residential area could get by with until the residents could go to one of the three larger towns which were Fulton, the county seat of Callaway County; Jefferson City, capital of Missouri; and Columbia, county seat of Boone County.

"I especially have a slight memory of a small circus that came to Guthrie in the early summer around 1905. A large tent was set up between the railroad tracks and the business places west of the tracks. The tent faced east and had a large opening on the south end. It was equipped with amphitheater seats that were well filled with eager and excited spectators. I remember about six or eight small elephants in the ring, each holding the tail of the elephant in front of them with its trunk and marching around and around the ring. At the crack of a whip, they would turn loose of each other and would get on a tub apiece with all four feet. I also remember trained dogs doing stunts and clowns. "The entrance fee to the circus was 25 cents for adults, 10 cents for children under 12, and free for children under five. I had a younger brother who was five years old at the time. My father wanted to save some money so when it came time to pay the entrance fee, he pointed to my brother and said he was four years old. Well, as most children, my brother didn't want to be claimed younger than he was, so he spoke up and said, 'I am five years old!' My father turned and said, 'You little rascal, why didn't you keep still?' He had to pay the 10 cent fee for my brother after all. The incident caused much laughter as the circus itself did.

"I also remember visiting my grandfather who lived right in Guthrie and he would take me on a train ride sometimes when I visited. We would board the train in Guthrie and ride down to Cedar city, Missouri, and back which would usually take an hour. The train would make a stop at New Bloomfield and Holts Summit."


by Mrs. Garrett (Evelyn) Brooks

Many roads lead to the little town of Hams Prairie located at the crossroad of State Highways C and A D and also County Roads 409 and 424. It is in township 46, section 26, range 9.

Hams Prairie was named for Rev. John Ham, a Methodist minister who came to Callaway County in 1815. He cut his name on a tree at the edge of the prairie in 1816. (A Short History of Callaway County by Ovid Bell, p.3, and History of Callaway County p.113 and p.481).

There is a well kept little park beside Highway C. This was a project of the Hams Prairie Handy Helpers 4-H Club in Missouri's Bi-Centennial Year, 1976. The land was donated by Alfred and Helen Beecher Elley. In the park they put a monument made of the foundation stones found at the site of Callaway County's first court house. Court was held in the tavern home of Henry Brite from 1821-1825. Mr. Brite called the place Elizabeth in honor of his wife. It was in the northwest corner of the prairie about one half mile from the present town of Hams Prairie. (History of Callaway County p. 113). The town of Hams Prairie was settle sometime after the county seat was moved to Fulton, the property owners having been given the privilege of buying lots in Fulton to replace those bought in Elizabeth. The land was reverted back to Young and Smith, who had donated the 100 acres. (A Short History of Missouri by Ovid Bell, p.7.)

There are about 40 people living in Hams Prairie. There is one church. It is the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and was organized in 1864. THe present building was constructed in 1884 at the cost of $1600. The basement of the church is used as one of the polling places for St. Aubert township and is also the meeting place for the Hams Prairie Handy Helpers 4-H Club.

There is a general store, which was built in 1908 by W. Scott Payne, who was the owner until his retirement in early 1940. Caesar Badalota and his wife Betty are the present owners.

Dr. W. O. Payne was born and raised in Hams Prairie and served the surrounding community as its doctor for 54 years until his death in 1961.

Hams Prairie was the home of the County Infirmary for the Aged until it was sold in 1957, giving way to nursing homes, one of which is Riverview Nursing Center only 4 miles away on Highway C.

At one time Hams Prairie had a post office. It seems it might have been closed around the turn of the century; today the residents are served by Rural Route #3 out of Fulton. Looking due east about 4 miles you can see very plainly the cooling tower of the Callaway County Nuclear Plant which sits on the neighboring prairie called Coats Prairie. This plant is under construction and due to go into operation in 1985.


by Susan Burns and Elizabeth Craghead

The Hereford Community began to develop about 1890. Prior to that time few families lived in the area, and there was only a small one room general store which served as a meeting place for the residents. Those living in the area by 1890 included Henderson Moore, Emmett Moore, L. W. Bratton, Jeff Hume, Mike Murray, William McCray, Weldon Tarr, and Lon Dunn. Other families were the McKamys, Bakers, Lindens, LaFons and Bookers. Three of the original homes in the area are still in existence-the McCray home (owned and occupied by John Burns), the Emmett Moore home (owned and occupied by Chuck Hughes), and the Tarr home (owned and occupied by Emmett McCowan).

Farming was and remains the main occupation of the commnunity; however, in the early 1900's many farmers also raised mules. Each year the members of the community would join together to drive their mules to the railroad either at McCredie or Centralia. The community enjoyed a phone system based out of Stephens with one line serving 12 to 15 families.

The community center was comprised of four build-ings-the Hereford General Store, Rising Sun Baptist Church, the Hereford Blacksmith Shop, and the Hereford School. These were located on what is now State Road DD three miles north of Interstate 70 in the Cleveland township. The store was in operation in a one room building prior to 1890, and was owned and operated by Mike Murray. In 1914 this building was moved and a two-story structure built by Mike Murray and Emmett Moore. This new store was first leased to Carl Smith, who operated the store and housed his family on the second floor. In later years the store was operated by Howard Murray, Cleve Fisher and many others. The ownership passed from Mike Murray to Floyd David and then to L. L. "Bud" Davis, who owned and operated the store until it closed in 1949. The structure was torn down in 1976.

The Rising Sun Baptist Church was the second community facility in Hereford. It was organized and built in 1892 on land donated by Mike Murray. Some of the charter deacons of the church were L. W. Bratton, John Threlkeld, John Renfro and William Rodman. For many years services were held one weekend per month with one service held on Saturday evening and two services on Sunday. The church is still in operation having a membership of over 100 active members. Early pastors of the church include J. S. Denton, S. S. Keith, and Rev. Burnam. More recently Weldon Foreman, John Hunter, Norman Miller and Melvin Underwood have served as pastors. The original building has had two additions added, but the church is still furnished with the original pews and pulpit.

The Hereford Community opened a blacksmith shop directly east of the general store. The land was given by William McCray, and the shop was built and operated by Bud Davis and Nat Fish. The blacksmith shop opened in 1910 and operated until about 1940. The structure has been torn down and the land deeded back to the McCray land which is owned by Elizabeth Craghead, daughter of the original owner, William McCray.

The Hereford School opened in 1922 on land donated by Mike Murray. A barn was erected to the west of the church to house the horses ridden by the students. The school buildings from Moore School and Prairie View School were moved to Hereford and placed to the south of the church. The west room was used for an elementary room and the east room for the high school. In 1923 an additional room was built to the east and used for extra space. Gladys McCall began in 1922 as the high school teacher and remained for many years in the Hereford area as their teacher. Lorene Waters began as elementary teacher. The teachers boarded in the community during the school year and occasionally rented the upper portion of the general store for living space. The high school disbanded in approximately 1941, but the grade school continued until the mid-1950's. The building is still in existence and is owned and occupied by Mrs. Ida Hunter.


by Jalie Boulware

Lindbergh came into existence in the late 1920's with the building of U.S. Highway 40. An oil company purchased land where the road from Stephens to Millersburg intersected the new highway from Elizabeth Shryock Threlkeld and built a rather large, for that time, service station. Among those who operated that station were Henry and Lottie Foutz and Robert Blacklock. The station housed an oil room, combination store and cafe, a kitchen and living quarters for the operator. For a time Everett Ballenger served as a barber out of the same building. This station was on the north side of the highway and was just over a mile east of Cedar Creek which is the Boone/Callaway County line. The station and the surrounding area came to be called Lindbergh in honor of Charles A. Lindbergh.

On the same side of the highway and about a block east, another store and service station was built. Some of the people who operated that station were Bob and Zella Via Berry, Ray Cooper, and Liberty and Wilmoth Gibbs. On the south side of the highway a garage was built and operated by Herbert Fisher. A second garage, operated by Ray Gingrich, was built to the west of the Fisher garage. Later Fisher's garage was operated as a service station by the Foutzes assisted by Julien Dodson. Still later this same building was developed into a residence. When it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Williams, it was remodeled as a nursing home and was operated by Mrs. Lutie Atkins.

In the late 1930's Marriott and Reed Coal Company purchased mining rights to the west and north of Lindbergh and started the first open pit mining of coal in the county. They built a tipple, or coal processing plant, between the two stations on the north side of the highway.

Mrs. Jeff Hall, who at that time was living on her home place, the Wilse Davis farm, just north of Lindbergh recalls baking pies for a short time for Mr. Blacklock to serve to the men who worked for the coal company at his station and restaurant. In the early 1940's she would go to Lindbergh to buy her groceries on Saturday night and she can remember paying seventy-five cents for twenty pounds of High Patent flour and thirteen cents for a pound of coffee.

The space occupied by the coal processing plant and offices had been used for a short while in prior years to hold Saturday night dances on an outdoor wooden platform. That business was operated by Henry Puyear. Mr. and Mrs. Vee Latty played for those dances. When the coal deposits had been depleted, mining ceased and Lindbergh began its decline. It was further affected by the building of Interstate 70 and by the advent of cheaper and more rapid transportation. It is now composed of a few residences and a small store operated by Mary Ann Theilbar. Old Highway 40 which had heralded Lindbergh's beginning is now the north service road for the interstate highway. However in the surrounding area there have been built, perhaps due to ready access to good roads, a small manufacturing plant and warehouse, a convenience store for travelers, a service station, a plant nursery, a furniture store and a plant sales business.

Little Kansas City

by H. Dale LaRue

The small community just northeast of the Radio Station (KFAL-KKCA) known to some as

Little Kansas City was originally named after a black slave woman.

My great grandfather Ruben Simcoe owned the property that is presently in northeast Fulton. He also owned slaves at this time and when President Lincoln freed the slaves, Simcoe gave each one a small tract of land in appreciation of their fine service. One of these slaves was a black woman named CANDICE. I do not have a record of her last name. She was my grandmother LaRue's Black Mammy, while Mrs. LaRue was growing up. This small tract of land northeast of the radio station was given to Candice by my great grandfather and a small house was built for her. Other dwellings sprang up around this small home and at that time the community was known as Candice City. But, as time advanced Can-dice further into history, generations have come to know this area not as Candice City, but instead as Little Kansas City.


by Margaret Elliott

Pitcher Store lies south of Fulton on Route NN. The first owners were the Barriers who cleared the land and built a two room log house. The property was then purchased by Sam Woods. During his ownership it served as a postoffice from July 27, 1897, until March 31, 1904. After the post office closed, people in the area picked up their mail at the post office in Fulton. Later they were served by a rural route.

In 1905, J. L. Craghead bought the store. Their daughter was married to Mr. Virgil Gathright 59 years ago in the parlor. A big charivari was planned. While it was in progress a shotgun was discharged and shot went through the eave of the building. Mrs. Gathright can remember her mother hanging butter and milk in the old well that is behind the store. Anyone who came to the store in search of a cold drink had to find their way to the well to fetch it out of the cool depths. Mrs. Gathright also remembers the wholesale dealer, or drummer as he was called in those days, coming to sell his wares. Fur trappers were also frequent visitors, coming to barter their furs for whatever they needed.

In June, 1973, the Richard L. Elliott family purchased the land where the old Pitcher Store stood, they had planned to bulldoze the old building, but when they discovered that it was filled with Callaway history, they decided to restore it to its original 1800's character. Richard and Margaret enlisted the aid of their five children; Richard Wayne, Deborah, Ronnie, Tamara and Jennifer. When they removed the old sheetrock they discovered hand hewn logs dating back to 1897. Other discoveries included old newspapers dating back to January 25, 1898, and a large collection of store receipts. Among those is a receipt to Sam Woods on May 23, 1904 for the purchase of 55 gallons of vinegar at 15 cents per gallon and one showing that Mr. J.L. Craghead on January 27, 1928, paid 6 cents per pound for geese and 18 cents per dozen for eggs.

Mr. Craghead also had a fur dealer shipper's permit from the state of Missouri dated January 27, 1928, a 1930 county tax receipt from J.W. Smart, county collector, and a merchant tax receipt showing he had paid $3.66 on goods valued at $300.

All of this memorabilia and more have been arranged by the Elliotts in a large scrapbook to share with others who are interested in the history of the area. By October of 1976, the Elliotts had completed the restoration and the old Pitcher Store was one of the stops on the American Association of University Women house tour.


by Christy and Mable Krebs

The village of Steedman was about centrally located in the Big Survey No. 1712 containing several thousand acres, owned by Dr. I.G.W. Steedman of St. Louis for whom the town was named.

The railroad was first known as the Missouri, Kansas and Eastern Railroad, and was taken over by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad about July of 1893. In the beginning there was a depot station and then later they also had a depot agent. In the earlier years the passenger trains made regular stops.

The general merchandise store was built in 1893 by E.W. Lawrence. The name of the store was Lawrence & Co. and was managed by Frank Stolle and Chris Bezler. The store was sold to Charles Becker in 1912. The store has changed ownership several times over the years.

Waiting for the first locomotive through Steedman -1896. The store built 1893. Steedman Post Office was opened January 31, 1894, in the back of the store. Frank Stolle was the first postmaster. The post office has changed locations several times since it opened, with the present location being on the site where the last blacksmith shop once stood. It was built by Mr. and Mrs. Charlie O'Neal while Dorothy O'Neal was postmaster. The present postmaster is Mrs. Lena Belle Gallatin. W.H.Harvey's son Busick Harvey was the first mail carrier. The present mailcarrier is Kenneth Grotewiel.

The first school was a log building located about one half mile south of Steedman in the river bottom. Later a new one room school house was built north of the store, with one teacher teaching all eight grades. The school was closed when the new South Callaway R-2 District was formed on April 12, 1957, including 18 or more rural schools. A grain elevator was built and owned by Charles Becker some time after 1912. Farmers drove their fat hogs on foot for miles to the weigh scales to be shipped out to market by railroad. Sometimes they received as much as three cents a pound. The first blacksmith shop was operated by Sam Hop-seeker in 1900. The last blacksmith shop was owned and operated by F.E. Burre. Ed Becker was the barber in Steedman for many years.

The Steedman Bank was chartered in 1915. The first board meeting was held on July 15, 1915. Members of the original board of directors were: Mr. Chris Bezler, W.H. Harvey, John Krebs, Thomas Klick and S.W. Tate. Guy H. Bezler was the first cashier and held that position until his death in 1971, with the exception of approximately 17 months while in the service of his country during World War I. On September 23, 1915, the capital stock was $10,000.00, with assets of $23,781.00. On June 30, 1983, the capital stock was $50,000.00, with assets of $7,341,000.00. Members of the present board of directors as of July 21, 1983, are: Herbert Schmid, president; Boyd X. Harvey, vice president; Glen Horstman; Darrell Krebs; and Calvin Stock. Present employees are: Glenn Horstman, cashier; Jerry Clingman and Jesse ESartley, assistant cashiers; Melba Owen, Aloyd Witthaus, Diane Dillon and Helen Montgomery, tellers; and Kevin Mealy, bookkeeper. The Steedman Cemetery was organized in 1918. The plot of ground was purchased from John Lincolnfelter. The first grave dug in the cemetery was for Ben Becker who was called into service in World War I and died a short time later on April 5, 1918. The first board members of the cemetery association were Charles Becker, Henry Schmid, and J.O. Erwin. Secretary and treasurer was Guy H. Bezler. Present board members for 1983 are Boyd X. Harvey, Kenneth Mealy and Lowell Dean Van-deloecht; secretary and treasurer is Erwin Witthaus.

John A. Binggeli and J.T.Wren opened a garage in 1919. J.T.Wren left Steedman in 1924. The garage closed in 1947.

So as of July, 1983, Steedman consists of the following: a church, a bank, a store, a post office and some fine South Callaway people.


by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lee Harris, Jr.

At one time Toledo, Missouri, had two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a warehouse, and a tobacco barn. One of the general stores and the blacksmith shop were sold in 1922 by C. H. Ross. The other store operated until a couple of years later. Art Gallaher was the last to operate a store here.

The earliest mention we have of Toledo is a newspaper article stating "Mrs. R. S. Simcoe was born near Toledo October 8, 1859." Also, there was an announcement of the marriage of Miss lantha Harris to Mr. Richard Franklin on Wednesday, December 28, 1892. Toledo isn't mentioned in the Atlas of 1876.

The Unity Baptist church was mentioned in the Atlas and was located on Craghead's Branch, one half mile west of the present location at the junctions of JJ and UU. The former location is presently owned by Mrs. John (Beulah Lawrence) Hamilton, a resident of Toledo. The present church was built in 1879 and is still active. Jesse James was a song leader at one time.

The post office operated out of a general store and was opened May 20, 1887, and was closed February 15, 1905. It was located in Section 16, Township 47, Range 8, at the intersection of Grand Prairie-Portland and Boone Hays Roads.

The Toledo School was built in 1880 by Gregory Frei-berger. There are no tracable records of the school before 1882. The teacher for the years of 1917-18 and 1918-19 was Miss Florence Day. She is living in St. Charles, Missouri. Two of her students are still living in the Toledo area. They are Mrs. Beulah Lawrence Hamilton and Jack Day. Another student, Brent Lawrence, lives close by. Mrs. William (Beatrice Lawrence) Hawkins, Glenn Lawrence, Mrs. Carl (Evelyn Hamilton) Brooks, Lawrence Alien Hamilton, Robert Lee Harris, Jr., and Mrs. Les (Ruth Ann Hawkins) Fischer were all later students at the school and still live in the area.

Glenn Lawrence of Toledo now lives on and owns the farm which has been in the Lawrence family since 1835.

John Harris, pioneer from Tennessee, moved to the area in 1829. His descendants have lived in the area continuously since that time.


by Lois Link

The village experienced changes: lots were sold, houses built and occupied, one general merchandise store was constructed, a blacksmith shop and a barber shop were set up, and a Modern Woodman Lodge came into being. The general store was purchased from a Mr. Sappinton, and John Cave and son, Shannon Cave (H.S.), operated it from 1903-1914. Carl Cave, son of H.S. Cave, remembers living in the apartment above the store and attending the Wainwright School which was also organized about this time. A Methodist church (Mt. Pleasant) that had been located about 2 miles east of the village on a high bluff was dismantled and hauled to the town and rebuilt in 1898. Much of this progress was noted because of the building of the MKT Railroad in 1892. This construction of the railroad brought two doctors namely: W.H. Williamson and Dr. Goase. Another general store that had been in the thriving river town of Old Barkersville was moved to the village and operated by Marion Stokes. Later C.A. and Fannie Foster operated the store from approximately 1912 to 1922, and when it was closed in 1955, Elmer and Theckla Dickson were the owners. A U.S. Post Office was part of the Cave General Store and later the Foster and Dickson Store. The village is now served by a Rural Route out of Holts Summit, Missouri.

Older residents of the village have related the changing of the name from Linkville to Wainwright. It was done during the construction of the MKT Railroad in 1892. The Katy Railroad had been in limbo from 1888 until 1891 when it was taken over by co-receivers George Eddy and H.C. Cross and experienced repairs and better management.

On February 27, 1865, John G. Boyd and wife Emma 0. Boyd purchased a tract of land (township 45 Range 10W section 16 and 17) of 474 acres. At the time of John G. Boyd's death in 1975 the land was passed on to his heirs, Mary (Mollie) Boyd Link being one of them. Mary had married Thomas L. Link, and between 1976-1878 Thomas and Mollie purchased the remaining acreage from the other heirs and settled on the tract as farmers. The place where Wainwright is now located was fields of waving grain. Thomas L. Link had visions of a small village, so through his philantrophy he donated the footage of ground and marked off lots as shown in the 1919 Standard Atlas of Callaway County.

In December 1892 the last extension of the Katy reached Texas (Smithville) and then on to Houston. The name was changed to MKT (Missouri, Kansas, Texas). The Missouri-Kansas Eastern that had been in operation from Franklin, Missouri, was extended to St. Louis, Missouri. This MK & E Railroad had been financed by a group of St. Louis capitalists, some whose names appear in towns along the right of way: McKittrick, Case, Gore, Wainwright, Steedman. So the name Wainwright was adopted and Linkville no longer existed (no date available). The wealthy St. Louis capitalist was a Mr. Ellis Wainwright who founded a brewery and amassed a fortune.

This tract of land, now a village, has passed through four generations of the family, namely: John G. Boyd, Thomas and Mary Link, Clay and Myrtle Link, Edward Link, and W.C. Link. The latter two now reside on part of the original tract.


by Jalie Boulware

In the far northwest corner of Callaway County lie the memories which are all that remain of Youngers. The first social gathering place which was established in that area was Hickory Grove Christian Church. The church lies just to the south and east of the Boone County line and was already serving the people of the area when Robert Marshall Younger opened a store in 1866 just across Cedar Creek and thus in Boone County. (Boone County borders Callaway just across Cedar Creek all along its western border and wraps around the northwest tip for just a short distance.) Mr. Younger also built a grist mill in Callaway County just to the east of the creek. This mill was powered by steam engine and used water from the creek to produce the steam. The grind stone from this mill has been moved by the Younger family and by subsequent owners of their land, and it now is a lawn ornament at a farm home east of Hereford.

In about 1882 Mr. Younger moved his store one half mile to the southeast of its original location. This placed it in Callaway County on the main road which extended north and south by the church and about three-fourths mile south. Besides Mr. Younger, for whom the area came to be called, some of the people who served as storekeepers were Mr. and Mrs. Ezekiel Skelly, T. A. Cottle and Tom Cox. There was a post office at the store for a while around 1900. Mail was picked up and delivered each Friday. There was never a rural route out of that post office.

At one time the community of Youngers also included a blacksmith shop operated by a Mr. D. Alien. In addition a Masonic Lodge met for a time in the second story of the old Hickory Grove Church. The Mutual Telephone Company built a house near the store to house a switchboard and provide telephone service for the community. The switchboard was operated by the family of Florin Nauser. It ceased to operate and the phones were served by the Auxvasse Telephone Company beginning in about 1909.

Wade School, a one room elementary school, was located to the southeast of Younger's store. Among the teachers who taught there were Mr. William Rodman, Miss Sallie Virginia Fish in 1889, Miss Mary Fox, Miss Jennie Lee Atkins, and Miss Lena Welch. Miss Mildred Atkinson and Mrs. Charles Scanland also taught there in the last few years before it closed in the 1950's. Both Miss Fish, who married Ashby Younger, and Miss Fox, who married OLiver L. Sebastain, stayed to live in the area, and they have descendants still living in the northwest part of the county.

During the first quarter of the nineteenth century, justice was meted out by Justices of the Peace elected in each township. These men were selected for their leadership abilities and their qualities of fairness. They could hear civil cases, sometimes with a jury, and they were also qualified to perform marriages. Mr. Benjamin H. Stephens who lived two miles or so south of Youngers filled this office for Cleveland Township for quite a long period.

In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries many, many such small communities flourished in this county. People could live out long and useful lives, raising their families and making an honest living and never have to travel more than a few miles from their home communities.

Gradually each of the small businesses which had served the community of Youngers ceased to exist and were replaced by other businesses in nearby communities. However the church is still active and serves as a gathering place for people of the area. Farms in the area have become larger and most of the older homes and business buildings no longer exist. The citizens of the neighborhood now travel to Centralia, Columbia, or Mexico to trade.

The author is indebted to Miss Hazel Younger, Mrs. Theophilus Dunn (nee Helen Younger), and Mrs. Les Singleton (nee Anna Stephens) for material used in this article.

About Us | Site Map | Home | e-mail Webmaster |   ©2006 - Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society