Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society

 Whats New  |  Events Calendar  |  Contact Us!  |  Site Map  |  Home   
About Us | Board / Staff | Sketch | Calendar of Events | Privacy Statement | Public Policies | Membership | Location | Contact Us
KCHSoc Publications | Resource Publications | Recent Acquisitions | Probate Records | Genealogical Research | Program Volunteers
Museum Displays | Callaway Timeline | Window Display | Children's Area
Cemetery Preservation | Photo Archival | Digitization | Kingdom Notes | Court Records | Heritage Education | Tradition Preservation
History of Fulton | Legend of 'Kingdom' | Rangers Burial | History of Callaway | Schools | Churches | Articles | Callaway Features
Historic Cultural Resources | USGS-GNIS | Fulton Historic | Historic Schools | Historic Churches | Black Churches | Cemeteries | Alternate Cemeteries
Callaway County Library | State Archives | Callaway County Government | Fulton City Government | More Links

   Readsville Page

Callaway County, Missouri


READSVILLE

by Monroe McCall

Readsville was settled in 1856 by John A. Read who became the first postmaster. One of the early stores was the Brooks and Garrett Store. In 1879, Monroe "Bud" McCall opened a woodworking and blacksmith shop, later opening a general store which he operated until 1928. His brother-in-law, Dr. A. D. Offut, practiced medicine and owned the drug store until his death in 1903. Following him was Dr. L. W. Oberkrom who served the community's medical needs until about 1960. He is now deceased.

In 1917, Riley A. Davis opened a general store and with his brother Clyde N. Davis operated their business until 1978 when they sold to Carl and Edith Dixon of St. Charles. The Dixons moved to Readsville and continued the traditional country store under the name of the Readsville Trading Post. Riley Davis operated the post office inside the store until about 1959 when the Readsville Post Office was closed.

Other businesses at Readsville at various times have been blacksmiths: Kasper Danuser, Frank Kelsick and Alfred Boone; and garages: Sigfred Lensing, Clifford Davis and Leo Hammett.

The 76 year old frame Bethel United Methodist Church was destroyed by fire in 1943 and was replaced by the brick structure which was dedicated on June 3, 1945. The Church maintained a parsonage at Readsville until 1931. The present pastor of Bethel United Methodist Church is Rev. Barbara Johnson.

Services were held at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Readsville several years before being discontinued in the late 1950's. The building has since been destroyed by fire. The one room rural school at Readsville closed May of 1959 when it bacame a part of the South Callaway R-II School District.

The size of the residential area has remained approximately the same, but other changes have come. The dirt road over which many products were transported to and from the M K & T Railroad at Portland in early days is now state Route D, a connecting link between Interstate 70 and Highway 94. Modern living is made available by the Callaway Electric Cooperative, the Kingdom Telephone Company and the Public Water Supply District No. 2.



About Us | Site Map | Home | e-mail Webmaster |   ©2006 - Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society